You can restart an iPhone without the power button and home button and I rarely use the power button to restart the phone. Apple added two dedicated software options to restart the phone and have three additional methods to accomplishing the task. Allow me to show you the official methods to ensure that you are successfully restarting the phone without the sleep/wake button and home button.
Restart and Turn Off your iPhone or iPad by using Assistive Touch
The official solutions require Assistive Touch feature enabled and that’s what has the two options. You can enable/disable at your will, but you do need it every time to turn off the phone or restart the phone. Regardless of the annoying button on the screen, I consider Assistive Touch very useful, and I use it every day.
- Go to “Settings” and tap on the “General” setting to continue.
- Look for “Accessibility” to continue.
- Tap on “Assistive Touch” to enable it.
- Tap on the button to enable the function.
You do have options to change the number of features in the Assistive Button and have plenty of potentials to change the course of navigation if used properly. I use the on-screen button to avoid the physical power button and home button.
In iOS 11 or later, you have a dedicated button to restart the phone in one tap, and it was not present in the previous Apple mobile operating system. However, I consider this an important feature because I wanted it during iOS 7.
- Tap on the virtual button.
- Click on “Device” to begin the process.
- Tap on three-dots or “More” to continue.
- Now, tap on the “Restart” button to reboot the phone without turning off the phone.
- The iPhone or iPad will ask for confirmation, and tap on “Restart” to grant permission.
Your iPhone or iPad will restart automatically reboot in a matter of seconds, and it is a familiar sequence. Don’t worry about the excess time consumed during the reboot because it is a common practice of the iOS mobile operating system.
Turn off / Power Off
The second option is turning off the phone and turning it back on using the lighting cable. If you have the power brick aside you, then turning on the device is not a problem. You can connect the cable to a laptop or desktop to kick the phone back from the dead.
- Click on the Assistive Touch button and then “Device.”
- Tap & hold the “Lock Screen” button to turn off the phone.
- The iOS wants to confirm the action by sliding the button to the right side, and it says “slide to power off.”
Your phone will turn off instantly, and you can handle the rest. Connect the device to the charging cable, and power the charging brick, and the device will start normally. You can do the same by connecting the phone to a laptop or desktop using a lighting cable.
Reboot an iPhone with Bold Text
Apple offers Bold Text for interface and you can refresh the phone using the feature. Of course, it isn’t a proper reboot process, but it does refresh the phone in many ways and it could help you solve software related problems.
- Click on the Settings > General > Accessibility.
- Tap on “Bold Text” to begin the process.
- Tap on “Continue” to confirm the action.
The phone will stop working for a moment, and the loading screen shows up on the screen. iPhone or iPad takes 10 seconds to initiate the process to apply the setting. Overall, it is a proper restarting process, and rather refreshing the device to apply a new setting. You can repeat the process without worrying about software complications.
Your last resort would be draining the battery, so it could turn off automatically.
I want to warn the consumers that draining the battery on-purpose won’t bear good results in the long run. You will end up having an inconsistent battery that has a reduced lifespan when compared to another similar device. Do not go overboard with draining the battery from 100% to 0% as it could impact severely on battery health.
Now, we have taught how to restart the iPhone without Power or the Home button, and tell us, which solution was more effective in long-term usage. We would love to know other interesting solutions that you have figured out in the comment section below.