Many complain that AirDrop not working after iOS updates. If the problem occurred by software errors or settings, then resolving them is an easy process. I will be providing solutions that will work on iPhone’s, iPad’s and AirDrop supported devices.
Apple invented AirDrop to serve in modern requirements based customers. The technology is a combination of software and hardware, so it is both side dependent functions. Anything can go wrong, and our first task decides whether the problem is chip-level or software error.
We are going to fix the software-based problems, and if hardware failure found on the phone, then I request the readers to take assistance from Apple-authorized engineers. Identifying the culprit will be our first task, and then solve them using the proper method. Of course, we are excluding third-party solutions in the process because we want to keep it clean.
Is your AirDrop Not Working? Follow these methods to real fix
By following our solutions, you can resolve the AirDrop errors in a few clicks. In our solutions, we are including external tools because I want to keep the process clean and straightforward. I recommend taking assistance from an authorized service centre if you feel that there is a hardware problem.
The WiFi and Bluetooth Combination
Apple AirDrop utilizes Bluetooth Radio + Wi-Fi at the same time to commence the process, and failure to enable the functions during the process leads to “ERRORS.” Bluetooth plays a crucial role in detecting nearby devices ranging from 1-feet to 30-feets and start the transfer process using the Wi-Fi network. The combination of two prominent “Discover + Transfer” technology creates ultimate action.
On an iPhone or iPad,
- Select the media file or document for sharing and then tap on sharing options.
- Do not choose Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and select AirDrop. iOS will prompt to enable both functions at the same time, and click on “YES” to proceed. AirDrop function will allow both connectivities for the sharing process.
- The recipient machine should accept the request to proceed, or it will fail the transfer
On MacBook or iMac
- Search for AirDrop in Finder’s Go menu or open a Finder Windows and then select the AirDrop item.
- The AirDrop finder function will prompt the administrator to enable the Bluetooth if disabled.
- Click to “Turn on Bluetooth.”
- Enable Wi-Fi manually by going into the Preferences from the Dock.
- Select the Network preference pane and then select Wi-Fi.
- Click to “Turn on Wifi.”
Select the recipient machine, and then the transfer will begin. File transfer is not successful when the recipient does not accept the request.
AirDrop device Sleep
It’s not uncommon that AirDrop Devices are not awake, and it is causing the problem in the first place. Apple-designed the technology carefully to maintain privacy and performance. Meanwhile, the function has to comply with battery configuration, which shuts down the features, when the clock hits. Probably, the device is not discoverable because it has fallen asleep. Now, it is our turn to remind the device to wake up.
Sleeping Phone: Click the Sleep/Wake button and unlock the Touch ID or Face ID. The AirDrop function works when the device is locked on, but you need to confirm the connection, or else it won’t give access to the device. Apple does not provide further access with the consent of the owner of the machine.
Sleeping macOS: The laptop or computer prefers sleep mode when the administrator doesn’t respond for a specific period. By pressing any key on the keyboard, you are alarming the machine to wake up. By tweaking the battery settings, you can relieve the computer from bothering the administrator.
How do I make my phone discoverable for AirDrop?
iOS does come with exceptional options and privacy options that I feel are necessary for the 21st century. By turning off the feature, nobody can see the device on the local network, which is the primary purpose. The second feature presents the “contact only” option, which avails AirDrop function on contacts only. The “everyone” option disbands the visibility limitations, and any device can discover it.
We have cross-checked, whether the configuration changes in AirDrop discovery settings in your iOS device.
- Look for AirDrop from Finder’s Go menu.
- In the AirDrop Finder window, search for “Allow me to be discovered by” and click on it.
- The hidden drop-down menu will show up on the screen and select the discovery setting. I recommend selecting “everyone” to make sure that you are pairing with devices not saved in the contacts.
By selecting “everyone,” the device visibility will spread, and any compatible device can detect it. Of course, you can play around with the options to understand how it works because practice makes a human being perfect.
If still AirDrop is not working despite making efforts and applying the solutions I suggest above, then resetting the phone or update the iOS version. Remember, if the resort does not make any difference in the outcome, then it’s the time that you make an appointment at an Apple service center.