Many Windows PC administrators complained about WMI Provider Host high CPU usage, and Microsoft doesn’t have an official solution. Fixing Windows errors is a challenge depending on the number of components used in the computer. Users complained about the problem, but the solutions are different from one and another because of the error caused by external application or program. We are going to identify the culprit first and follow the solution to resolve it.
What does the WMI service do?
WMI stands for Windows Management Instrumentation designed to manage applications and devices from Windows computing systems. WMI is an informant that offers provides crucial information of remote computer systems or status of local.
Can I end WMI?
WMI is not a program, which requires manual removal. An installed program on Windows PC must have requested its presence such as GoPro Studio constantly searching for connected cameras. By removing GoPro Studio from the task manager and start-up menu, it will automatically shut down WMI functions.
How do I disable the WMI provider host?
1Remove or Uninstall HPWMISVC
HP bundles several programs along with the laptops. I’m not pinpointing at HP only, and it can happen with Windows machine that manufactured by the reputed company such as Acer, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and others. The bloatware can add extra pressure on the computer, and unknown problems that the manufacturer couldn’t expect it to come.
If you are using an HP laptop or computer, then I suggest uninstalling HP Software Framework. Do not worry about the missing features because Microsoft provides basic drivers for it. The manufacturer may have fixed it already, so I recommend checking out the official website for updated software.
2Restart or Turn off Windows Service
I never pinpoint the culprit without proper proof on it, but I recommend restarting “Windows Management Instrumentation Service” at least once. According to Microsoft, the “instrumentation service” is a management tool that provision & enrolment of the activities. In our case, we are going to monitor the current situation, and then decide what to do with it. Of course, I will provide details on the scenario and give a proper solution for it.
- Press Windows key + R and type “services” in the empty filed, and then click on “OK” to open it.
- The Windows services window will open, and this method will work on the previous version of Microsoft OS. I am confident that it will work on 7th edition or above, so go ahead give it a shot.
- The page alphabetically sorted, so scroll down to the bottom until you find “Windows Management Instrumentation Service” at the bottom.
- After locating the service, check whether it is running or not. If the function is running, then restart it. Select the service by clicking on it, and then right-mouse click view more options. Click on the “restart” option, and then it will automatically restart the service.
Close the Windows services page, and restart the computer immediately. The worst-case scenario would be turning off the service by setting it to “manual” in the properties. Go back to the services, and right-mouse click view more options to select properties. In the properties, change “automatic” to “manual.”
3Restart Related Services to Identify the Problem
I’m going to restart multiple services using Command Prompt. The CMD speed up the process a little, and I will provide the commands required for the procedure.
- Press Windows key + S and search for “Command Prompt” in the search bar.
- Type ”net stop iphlpsvc” and hit enter to proceed.
- Windows CMD will stop the service from functioning.
Now, repeat the same process with the command given below.
1) net start iphlpsvc
2) net stop Winmgmt
3) net start wscsvc
4) net stop wscsvc
Solving WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE) High Disk Usage in Windows 10 is not an easier task. The worst-case scenario would be resetting Windows 10 PC and re-installation of Windows OS. When I come across Microsoft OS errors, I prefer to solve them manually, but if my solution fails, then I might have a unique situation. Check out Microsoft’s official forums and start a new thread, and you will get replies from the capable community.