There is no Discord screen recorder in the app or program, but there are ways to record the Discord screen for free. The American-based VoIP and instant messaging platform demand have increased among the gaming community and Video Calling users. Discord took another leap towards the future after millions of users started to use it for business meetings, school meetings, and more. Many students want to record the session, so they can take a look back at the footage to clarify the doubts. Allow us to show how you can record Discord voice calls and video calls.
What does the screen recorder for Discord require?
Everyone has to prepare to meet the screen recording requirements.
I’m an active Discord user with two & half years of user experience. I have installed Discord on Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android machines, I can show you how you can record the Discord screen.
Storage: Readers have space to store the footage that can range from 10GB – 50GB depending on the video output quality and session duration.
Device: We are going to cover a screen recording tutorial for Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and Linux PC.
Hardware Power: Screen recording requires RAW hardware power such as CPU, GPU, and RAM for smooth quality.
Discord consumes hardware resources, so your smartphone needs a minimum mid-range processor such as Snapdragon 768G, Exynos 880, Apple A11 Bionic, Kirin 810, Helio G95, etc.
We cannot avoid RAM in this case because it will load Discord and carry out screen recorder task at the same time, so your device needs a minimum of 4GB RAM.
The storage will depend on the video quality and several minutes per session. Your smartphone should have a minimum of 10 GB of free space to save the recording clips.
I have been using Discord for almost two years on Windows, Mac, and Linux PC.
CPU: Every Discord user is aware of the fact that this program consumes up to 10% CPU.
RAM: Your machine requires 500MB RAM and an additional 300MB for the screen recorder.
GPU: A decent (integrated or dedicated) GPU is required, or else, you will notice a stutter in the video call or voice call.
Storage: Minimum 15GB and maximum 100GB depending on the session duration.
I will skip using Mac’s QuickTime Player screen recorder because you need one program for all recording purposes.
How to use Screen Recorder for Discord on iPhone/iPad?
Apple introduced a screen recording feature in the iOS software, and we are going to make good use of it. Follow our lead to add a screen recorder and start recording Discord Mobile.
- Tap on the Settings > Control Centre > Customize Controls.
- Swipe down and tap on the + icon to add Screen Recorder.
- You can find “Screen Recording” in the list.
- Open Discord and then “Control Center” by swiping down from the top.
- Tap on the Screen Recorder icon, and the bubble will become red.
- The red bar on the top signifies that the screen recording has started.
You have to tap on the same Screen Recorder icon in the Control Center to stop and save it. Your iPhone or iPad will heat, so do not connect the device to charge it because it will increase the temperature. The screen recorder captures the notification and sensitive information, so keep that in mind.
How to record Discord in Android Devices?
Android 8 or later comes with an inbuilt screen recorder, so you can record the screen without additional tools. In case, if you are using an older device then consider AZ Screen Recorder to capture the screen. Let me show you how to capture the screen in stock Android or LineageOS.
- Open the screen recording app.
- Tap on the “Record” button to begin the process.
- The screen capture function warns the users about information that it will capture during the process. Tap on “Start now” to capture the screen.
- The button shows up on the screen, and tap on the video icon to start it.
- The screen capturing has started, and it is visible in the top bar.
- Open the screen recorder app or pull it from the notification bar and then disable it.
The interface may differ in a specific device that has inbuilt recording capabilities, but the instructions are relevant whatsoever.
How to Record Discord in Windows, Linux and Mac?
Discord user’s presence can be witnessed on Mac, Windows, and Linux, so we have prepared the tutorial for everyone. OBS Studio is an advanced screen recording solution that is available on all desktop platforms. We are going to bring in the advanced screen recorder to capture Discord.
Note: Every instruction is applicable on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines, so do not worry about cross-platform interface differences.
Configure OBS Studio:
- Download and install OBS Studio.
- Launch OBS and the Auto-Wizard Configuration shows up on the screen.
- Do not mess around with the default settings and click on “Next” to continue.
- OBS will conduct a series of tests for a couple of moments, so do not interrupt it.
- My old machine cannot handle 1080p screen recording, so OBS suggested 853x480p at 30fps recording.
OBS Auto-Wizard Configuration works flawlessly, and my laptop can handle screen recording with ease. Overall, I wanted to show you how you can configure the OBS Studio for older and newer machines, and get the best out of PC hardware.
Configure Source in OBS Studio:
- Click on the + icon and then choose “Display Capture” to add it.
- OBS detected “Desktop Audio” and “Mic/Aux” under “Audio Mixer”, so Discord audio will be captured.
You have audio controls and you can mute your microphone as well.
In case, if the “Desktop Audio” and “Mic/Aux” are missing from the “Audio Mixer”, then you can add “Audio Input Capture (Microphone)” and “Audio Input Capture (Speaker)” from the sources.
Now, you can make good use of the Discord screen recorder and capture the screen on Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, and Windows PC. Discord is available on all devices and I have it installed on all devices, which is why I choose OBS Studio.