Users can free up storage space on Apple Watch by following simple instructions. Apple optimized the software to prevent the watchOS to save large temporary files and junk during the session. The software is designed to dump the old system files and temporary files from now and then, so you don’t have any cleaning options available in watchOS. Freeing up storage in Watch may end up sacrificing the user’s saved data, and we will look into that option as well.
How to check the detailed Watch storage report on iPhone or iPad?
Watch owners can use the iPhone or iPad to find out how much storage is left and what is consuming the majority of the storage in the device. Follow the instructions to find out the storage capacity and learn which content is consuming most of the storage capacity.
Find Storage Capacity:
- Tap to open the dedicated Apple Watch app.
- Click on “General” settings.
- Tap on “About” to continue.
- Now, view the Watch’s total capacity, available storage, music, and photos saved in the device.
Find Detailed Storage Report:
- Tap to open the dedicated Apple Watch app.
- Tap on “General” settings.
- Click on “Usage” to continue.
- In the usage, you have saved data filtered under Music, Podcasts, Photos, Camera, and more.
Now, you can monitor what content is consuming lots of storage in the Watch, and you don’t have to hunt for them manually. Spend some time with the Watch app because it offers advanced options that will help the users to manage the storage.
Limit Saving Photos in Apple Watch
I don’t recommend the readers to save photos in Watch. Apple pumped up the maximum storage capacity to 500x times when compared to the original iPhone or iPad. The powerful camera captures the masterpiece, but it consumes lots of storage. Fortunately, you can force Watch to save only a few photos in the device and allow us to show how it’s done.
- Open the Watch app on iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on “My Watch” located at the bottom.
- Choose “Photos” from the main screen.
- Swipe down and tap on “Synced Album” to continue.
- Tap on “Photos from iPhone/iPad” to continue.
- Choose one option, and Watch will no longer save photos above the marked number.
Apple Watch allows the users to choose the option from 25 Photos, 100 Photos, 250 Photos, and 600 Photos. Newer iPhones have superior cameras, which does not mean that they will compress the photos in the Watch. It is a better choice to leave unnecessary photos on the iOS device.
Remove Installed Apps
You should not take installed apps lightly because they do save cache and related files in the Watch. Always check the list to delete unused apps from the device because it will save a minimum of 100MB. Monthly cleaning is a good habit in our opinion, and you should do it to maintain a clean Watch.
- Press the Digital Crown and access Watch Home Screen.
- Make the icons move in grid view.
- Drag and throw the app in Trash Can.
- You can do this multiple times to remove multiple apps from Watch.
Remove Old Messages in Apple Watch
Delete old conversations or remove threads that you no longer need in the Watch. We know that this is manual work, and it will consume time, but it is worth saving some space when you have unnecessary conversations on the device.
- Open the “Messages” app in Watch.
- Find threads that you no longer needed in the Watch.
- Swipe left on the thread to view more options and then tap on the “Delete” button.
- The software will dump the thread in the Trash Can, and you save some space in the device.
Remember, none of the conversations are recoverable, so you should keep in mind when you are cleaning the Watch. You can create a backup in local storage using iTunes, which comes in handy to restore the old data.
Delete Songs in Apple Watch
Music is a daily driver for millions of media consumers around the world. An average two-minute song size is nearly 5 MB – 10 MB depending on the quality. Many users have a minimum of 50 songs in Watch, which consumes a minimum of 250MB of storage. You can save plenty of storage if you remove old music from Apple Watch.
- Open the “Music” app in the Watch.
- Swipe the album from the left side to reveal options.
- Tap on the ellipsis icon.
- Tap on the “Remove” button.
- The album is removed from the Watch.
You can do the same with each track and remove old songs from the device. You can always download them back in the Watch, so don’t worry about losing track.
Delete Audiobooks/Podcasts in Apple Watch
Audiobooks are a great source of knowledge and entertainment for millions of media consumers. Many users don’t delete the Audiobooks that they don’t need anymore, but you should pay attention to them. Podcasts are lengthy in file size, and they do take up storage in the Watch, and removing them will free the storage.
- Open the Watch app.
- Choose the “My Watch” section located at the bottom.
- Tap on “Audiobooks” and choose one book that you wish to remove from the Watch.
- Swipe left the Audiobook and tap on the “Delete” button.
The Audiobook is removed from the Apple Watch, and you can repeat the same process until all unnecessary files are removed. Stop “Reading Now and Want to Read” in Apple Watch because it will automatically sync the books on the device.
Apple is working on adding more storage in the upcoming Watch models. Watch series 6 maximum capacity is 32GB, and you will witness higher storage capacity in many upcoming models as the demand surges. You can free up storage space on Apple Watch by removing the media files and other content from the device. Apple has optimized the watchOS software, so you don’t need cleaning apps to free up some space.