Discord Text To Speech is an advanced technology that founder; Jason Citron decided to add in the gaming communication platform. I use Discord on a daily basis, and I can tell that it is a powerful communication tool for iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, and Linux desktop users around the world. Among so many advanced functions, Discord TTS is a rarely used function because the majority of the registered users focus on voice communication and texting functions only.
TTS is an advanced technology that converts Text-To-Speech, and you can listen to the messages in audio format. I tested the function on a Discord server and it worked like a charm and I ended up upsetting one of the Discord members because they received it in audio format and he was at work. During the process, I learned new things about Discord capabilities and I can guide the registered users.
How to Enable TTS in Discord
During my test, I could not hear the TTS message on my phone, and I joined the server using different accounts. I sent a message using the server administrator account and tried to listen to it using another account. I realized that I need to enable the function of my Discord program. I want to remind the readers that this function is not available on the mobile phone.
- Click on the “User Settings” icon located at the bottom of the panel.
- Look for “Notifications” and click to continue.
- Scroll down till the “Text-to-Speech Notifications” option shows up on the screen.
- Select “For All Channels” or “For Current Selected Channel” one of them.
All channels should be in text format such as “General Chat” or “Global Chat” and the notification will appear on the screen in high-tech robot voice format. I will provide important information on the TTS and limitations, so you don’t have to scratch your head to figure out the puzzles.
How do I disable text to speech in Discord
I noticed something where TTS is enabled by default at the command level. Of course, registered users cannot detect it and may get confused because it isn’t something you already have knowledge about it. You have to disable the Discord Text-To-Speech (TTS) at command level because that’s how it designed to work.
- Click on the “User Settings” and find ”Text & Images” and tap on it to continue.
- Scroll down to click on “allow playback/usage of /TTS command” button to disable it.
Close the Discord from the taskbar or task manager. Start afresh session by re-opening the program from the menu, and the TTS will no longer work for you and messages that come from friends & server members.
How to send Discord Text To Speech Messages
Make sure to read the last part because I will provide information about the functions, so you don’t have to work on fixing the common problems. Allow me to explain how to use the TTS feature in real-time, and it will work on the Discord.
- Open any text channel of the server or open an existing private message / direct message.
- Add /tts before typing the text to convey your message.
- Click on the Send button to convey the message to the members or direct message.
TTS works in direct messages and Discord server, so don’t worry about the limitations. You cannot use this voice function in voice channels because users have to type /tts in the texting channel.